Losing vision later in life is an overlooked yet rapidly growing public health crisis, which has been exacerbated by COVID-19. The Aging and Vision Loss National Coalition plans to address this looming crisis and bring attention to aging and vision loss at the highest levels.
The purpose of the Aging & Vision Loss National Coalition, administered by VisionServe Alliance, is to ensure all older people with vision loss receive high quality comprehensive specialized vision rehabilitation including low vision services.
A Few Facts from AVLNC’s Vision Rehabilitation and Aging Brief
Did you know that at least 12 million Americans over the age of 60 report significant difficulty seeing resulting in reduced ability to engage in necessary daily tasks or activities they once found enjoyable ?
Did you know that only about 3% of older people with vision loss get connected to or receive vision rehabilitation services?
Did you know that the CDC has estimated that eye disorders and vision loss are among the costliest conditions to the U.S. economy at more than $145 Billion and that this cost will continue to grow through 2050?
Did you know that severely inadequate public funding for vision rehabilitation services for older people has resulted in insufficient numbers of qualified personnel and readily available services in many areas of the country?
Did you know that vision rehabilitation services, low vision and other optical devices are not covered by Medicare and Medicaid? (Vision Rehabilitation and Aging Brief)
Get Involved: Here’s How
The Aging & Vision Loss National Coalition Steering Committee is convening an open meeting via Zoom on Friday, January 22 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm EST.
- Brief Overview of AVLNC’s Purpose, Theory of Change and “Reframing Aging & Vision Loss” Three-Year Plan
- Highlights of the “Reframing & Vision Loss” Plan for 2021
- Develop Quarterly Priorities (aka Rocks) in breakout sessions.
- Regroup and Share Rocks with Full Coalition.
- Present the revised Coalition Structure and Meeting Logistics for 2021.
- Next Steps (including subsequent meeting dates)
To Participate, Please Do the Following:
- Register for the event
- Prepare for the meeting. Please read about the AVLNC and the Aging and Vision Loss Theory of Change and watch the linked video to learn more.
- Indicate through your registration which committee you would like to join for this meeting (and consider becoming a member for the year)
- Public Awareness
- Data and Research
- Access to Quality Vision Rehabilitation Services
- Policy & Funding
All interested professionals and/or advocates are welcome. We have many exciting plans for the year and look forward to having you join us in this journey to “Reframe Aging & Vision Loss.” Let’s make a difference together and remember Helen Keller’s words, “Alone we can do so little; Together we can do so much.”