Vision Rehabilitation Services
3830 South Cobb Drive
Smyrna Georgia 1 30080
(770) 432 7280
Founded in 1983, VRS is accredited by the National Accreditation Council for agencies serving the blind and visually impaired. BLVS provides vision rehabilitation services individually, in the client's school, home or place of employment.
VRS uses a community based model; certified instructors provide training in the client's home, school or place of employment. VRS is fully accredited by the National Accreditation Council (NAC).
Kay Eller, Executive Director and CEO, email@example.com, 770 432 7280
Jeanne Pelosi, Low Vision Evaluations & Aids / Devices, firstname.lastname@example.org, 770 432 7280
Jen Williams, Operations and Program Manager, email@example.com, 770 432 7280
- Braille and Reading Instruction
- Provides training in braille.
- Community Outreach Programs
- Maintains a low vision clinic and offers community-based rehabilitation program in nearly 30 counties in north Georgia. This includes LV followup in the home and instruction in O&M, rehabilitation teaching, ILS and communication skills.
- Computer Training/Assistive Technology
- Provides individualized computer instruction ranging from beginning keyboard skills to advance use of adaptive software (JAWS, ZoomText, etc).
- Offers individual and family counseling. Coordinates and consults with mental health and social service agencies.
- Daily Living Skills/Independent Living Skills Training
- Provides training in personal management, communications, independent living skills (services provided at center and in community environments).
- Employment/Job Training
- Coordinates with Division of Rehabilitation Services to provide pre-vocational training and vocational evaluation.
- Low Vision Devices
- Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Low Vision Services
- Provides low vision evaluation and follow-up. Prescribes and supplies low vision devices.
- Recreation Services
- Coordinates activities with other agencies.
- Services for Seniors
- VRS provides clients with a comprehensive Low Vision Evaluation that is conducted by a Low Vision Specialist, an optometrist who is trained in the field of low vision. After a thorough review of the client's medical and vision histories, the Low Vision Specialist conducts an evaluation of the functionality of the client's vision. Devices such as magnifiers, bioptic spectacles, high powered reading glasses, telescopic lenses, glare control tinted glasses and technology equipment may be recommended. The optometrist then determines the need for other services in addition to training the client on the use of the device(s). Rehabilitation training, Orientation and Mobility, and Access Technology and computer training may be included. Certified instructors work with the clients based on an individualized plan.
- Travel/Orientation and Mobility
- Provides orientation and mobility training.