Your Laundry Room
Laundry day can be a hassle for anyone, but here are some tips that should make washing your clothes easier:
- A laundry room sometimes brings to mind visions of a washing machine and dryer in a dark corner of the basement. Whether your laundry room is in the basement, or in a more brightly lit spot, make sure you have adequate lighting for reading dials, sorting clothes, and other tasks in your laundry room.
- Mark the settings you use the most on your washer and dryer with bump dots or a 3D pen (also known as a Hi-Mark pen).
- To measure laundry detergent, most liquid detergents have a cap that when filled has the proper amount to do a full load; by the same token, half a cap is normally used for half a load. You can also use a cup that has tactile or large print markings.
- Put a rubber band, large print, or tactile label on the detergent bottle to distinguish it from other cleaning products.
- If you dry clothes outside, make sure you have easy access to the clothesline.
- Consider applying slip-resistant surfacing to flooring that might become slippery when wet.
- When purchasing new clothing, pick items that have distinctive features such as buttons, trim, lapels, etc., which can help you identify the item by touch.
- Hang matching tops and bottoms on the same hanger as you take them out of the dryer.
- Have a hook or rod nearby to hang clothes on when removing them from the dryer.
- You can pin your socks before washing, or keep them together with a sock lock (also known as a sock tuck).
- Dirty laundry can be placed in two different baskets, one for dark and one for light, to make laundry day easier.
For More Information:
AccessWorld®. Access in the Kitchen: An Update on Home Appliances. This article reviews washers and dryers, along with stoves, dishwashers, microwaves, and wall ovens.
AccessWorld Appliances Close Up: The Accessibility of Major Appliances for Those Using Low-Vision Techniques— AccessWorld discusses the accessibility of household appliances for people who have low vision.
Tips to Help with Laundry and Laundromats can help with more about the task of doing laundry.