Quick Tips on Using a Hand-Held Magnifier
Quick Tips on Using a Hand-Held MagnifierGet the most out of your hand-held magnifier. When using a magnifier, hold your magnifier very close to your eye. Quick tips on using a hand-held magnifier:
- Hold your magnifier close to your eye to increase your field of view and increase the number of words you can see at one time. This is especially important for magnifiers that are 4x and higher.
- Bring your reading material closer to your eye to increase your field of view.
- Move the paper, not the magnifier, as you read. Moving the magnifier will slow your reading speed and increase distortion and frustration.
- Make sure the magnifier and your reading material are held at the same angle to prevent distortion. If your magnifier is straight up and down, your paper needs to be straight up and down. If your paper is at a 45 degree angle, your magnifier must also be at a 45 degree angle.
- Make sure that your magnifier is the proper strength and type for the task you are trying to accomplish. This will require having a low vision exam by a clinical low vision specialist.